Wednesday, September 16, 2009

[SW] Install Pidgin 2.6.1 in Ubuntu 8.04

The default version of Pidgin for Ubuntu 8.04 has had an annoying problem. When the user login, Pidgin gives many pop-up windows with error message: MSN Error: Friendly name changes too rapidly.

I don't know the causes nor solutions after Google searching, but they said the newer version has no such a problem. Therefore, I rushed into downloading the source and tried to install it. When I had no idea how complex this mission could be. There were too many dependency packages needed to install. After following the error message given by the configure script of Pidgin source package, I gave up.

Then I kept trying to find some other solutions.

There is deb packages for latest version of Pidgin. At the beginning, I thought it might be the most convenient way for installation. After run the deb package, however, it gave the dependency error message.











Finally, I found the best solution which is to add the PPA to the sources.list:

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/pidgin-developers/ppa/ubuntu YOUR_UBUNTU_VERSION_HERE main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/pidgin-developers/ppa/ubuntu YOUR_UBUNTU_VERSION_HERE main

Then
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get upgrade
$ sudo apt-get install pidgin

No comments:

Post a Comment