Monday, April 15, 2013

Ubuntu 12.04 doesn't print PDF file via network printer

My office PC has been linked to two printers via network (intranet I think...) and had been worked fine until recently. Although I have installed and used Ubuntu 12.04 for a while but have not printed files often. Several weeks ago I tried to print some documents but the printers just gave me strange error messages and stopped working. Today I tried to print something again and had the same problem with the printers. This time I decided to make it work.

At the beginning I had only vague keywords and got no useful searching results in return. I tried to launch LibreOffice Writer to create a simple test file and it was printed successfully, but after saved as PDF the printing was failed. Then I noticed that the documents which had failed in printing were also all PDF files. So the problem could be the file type.

I used PDF as one of the searching keywords and found some bug reports of Ubuntu. I followed some suggestions in one of the threads [1] and got little success.

The approach of updating cups-filters with precise-proposed didn't work to me [2]. Actually I didn't see any update packages after I enabling the precise-proposed option.

The working one was changing settings of the printers via command line [3]. I made one of the printer worked with PDF documents by using settings as the following:
$ lpadmin -p Hewlett-Packard-HP-LaserJet-P3005 -o pdftops-renderer-default=gs
$ lpadmin -p Hewlett-Packard-HP-LaserJet-P3005 -o pdftops-max-image-resolution-default=0
where Hewlett-Packard-HP-LaserJet-P3005 is the printer name. I deleted the second setting by using
$ lpadmin -p Hewlett-Packard-HP-LaserJet-P3005 -R pdftops-max-image-resolution-default
and the HP printer still worked fine when printing PDF documents.

The other Xerox printer, however, still didn't work after changing the settings.


---
[1] Printing on PostScript printers (or printers with PostScript-based driver) not working
[2] #20 of the above thread
[3] #17 of the above thread

No comments:

Post a Comment