Sunday, October 24, 2010

[QnA] Activate the ethernet card of Toshiba L600 laptop (for Ubuntu 10.04)

I've bought a laptop (Toshiba Satellite L600) several days ago. Everything seems alright when I inserted the Live CD of Ubuntu 10.04 to play example audio and video files. So I installed Ubuntu 10.04 in my new laptop. After the installation, I tried to connect to the Internet for system upgrade and found the pppoeconf complained with ``no Ethernet card'' messages.

From the searched results and based on my own incomplete test, here are the steps to activate the Ethernet card of the Toshiba Satellite L600:

Step 1: Check the type of card.
$ lspci | grep Ethernet
04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications AR8152 v1.1 Fast Ethernet (rev c1)


Step 2: Use the keyword of the card to search the driver. What I found is AR81Family-linux-v1.0.1.13.tar.gz

Step 3: Untar the downloaded files and install the driver.
$ make
$ sudo make install
$ cd src/
$ sudo cp atl1e.ko /lib/modules/2.6.32-21-generic/kernel/drivers/net/atlx/
$ sudo depmod -a

Step 4: Reboot the system then go for pppoeconf to set up the DSL connection.

No comments:

Post a Comment