Saturday, November 14, 2009

[QnA] Taking screenshots of virtual consoles?

I am trying to find ways to take screenshots of virtual consoles. This article shows the method of taking screenshots from console using the ImageMagick. The author said that the method also works for consoles with the command as the follows

$ sudo chvt N; sleep T; import -display :0.0 -window root output.png; sudo chvt M

where N is the target console and T is the time in seconds. The last chvt command is just for returning the original working console.

After testing with the command, however, I found the png file was generated but the image itself is not what I expected. At the beginning I thought that might due to my framebuffer setting so I disabled the corresponding setting in the /boot/grub/menu.lst. Nothing has been improved and I still can only get the following useless image.

No comments:

Post a Comment